Wednesday, December 8, 2010

To Dorothy - my perfect dummy.

Dear Dorothy, 

It just struck me, you are my perfect 'dummy'!  NOT I hasten to add, am I suggesting you could in anyway be mistaken for stupid, rather you unwittingly, but hopefully for both of us not unfortunately,   have come to represent my 'target market'.  

Let me explain.

Your email response arrived saying how my email put a smile on your face -   just when I was mulling over an issue of somewhat less than world changing importance.  Namely my blog!  
  
Let me expound.  

Several years ago I was in a mentoring role for a young lady.  Now she is 'all growed up' and doing all sorts of fine and exciting things in her life.  And she has turned the tables.  For sometime now she has been encouraging me, nay nagging me to start a blog; she opines that my advice and perspective over the years was helpful. Me and my ego were delighted of course and I attempted to follow up.  But I came to realize an uncomfortable truth:   I have only about 4 1/2 trinkets of advice to offer the world.  And worse, they are nothing new either.  The reality is, I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already, and indeed already said in much finer style than my humble mumblings could rise to.

But, having nothing new to say has never stopped me saying anything before (as my very pained siblings can attest to), and it won't now either.  However for reasons expounded on above, my snippets of advice would not get my blog much beyond the first month so I decided it might be best to expand the topic areas.

That is where your 'dummy-hood' comes into play.   As a busy woman of the world, with some wonderful stuff in your life - i.e. your perfect grandchild, and some harder stuff - concerns over Mum as she grows older, you  may not have the time, or  more specifically, the interest, to hear about my daily life and times – dentist visit, flat wheel on my bike, worries about Ireland’s economy - or lack thereof etc.  And indeed woman of the world that you are, you certainly don't need, never mind want, advice from my little corner of the universe!  But if my assortment of musings, amusings and advisings were of interest to you -  not so  much because they might directly relate to  your life, rather because my contemplations, or rather my 'unique style' of expounding on same, might give you a smile, then I would be happy that I have done my job well.  

Thus as I write in my blog, I will ask myself: “might this contribution to the canon of ‘somewhat less than great literature’ put a smile on Dorothy's face”? And if I can answer "yes" - then I will hit the send button!

Thus Ms. Dorothy - that is how you came to be my target market!   .... Are you a one lucky woman - or what!!!

With love, 

Rosaleen  
p.s. The photo has nothing to do with your 'dummy-hood' in anyway. I just like it - the photo that is!  I took the photo here in late October en route to a village called Möggingen (Oh don't you just love that place name - as good as any you can find in Ireland), when I was 'strolling about on my bike' as I like to say.  If you look carefully at the horizon you can see the Alps - which are actually more than 50 miles away... cool or what.

No comments:

Post a Comment