Monday, August 6, 2012

The Olympics. Wow Oh Wow!

Yes, I say it again.   The Olympics.  Wow oh wow! 

Wasn´t the opening ceremony a wonderful crazy creative event?  I did enjoy it.  And since then, all those nubile perfect specimens of humanity thrilling us with the heights they reach in sporting excellence. I promise, most of the time I am marvelling at the excellence of their endeavors, not their fabulous physiques. - (Oh alright, a good bit of the time then.)

And there I am in awe of sports I hardly knew existed, like those sort of space age indoor bike races, and the trampoline competitions.  Really it is a wonder;  I loved the dressage, the table tennis and the fencing too.  Just about any sport at such levels of excellence can be enjoyed and wondered at.  It is just a pity hurling in not an Olympic sport, Kilkenny would have scooped up all the medals. 

Do you know what Kilkenny and Jamaica have in common?  For such a relatively small part of the world, they both keep on producing world champions. The county of Kilkenny needs little explanation of course: they produce generation after generation of the best hurlers in the world.  Similarly Jamaica produces generation after generation of the fastest runners in the world. -  Did you see how Bolt bolted last night!  (Am I the only ´reporter´on the Olympics who thought to make a pun on ´bolt´!).  He ran 100 meters in 9,63 seconds.  The Women´s 100 Meter winner was also Jamacian, Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce; her time was a mere 1.12 seconds slower at 10,75 seconds.  

How is all that for wowness!

But you know, I would love to hear more on the other participants; the people who after years of hard work, time and dreaming get to participate in the Olympics.  And no doubt with great effort on the part of their families too.  I would like to hear those participants´ stories too. I suppose with so much greatness to report on, it would be hard to report everything in an mere 24 hour day.

But I tell you what, if I was a female contestant in the beach volley ball, I would want to wear the men´s uniform.  However fabulous Misty May Trainer et al look, bending over in that little itsy bitys nearly nothing bikini bottom would make me feel I was sharing a tad too much of me with the world.

Last Sunday, we had our own version of the Olympics here in Allensbach:  The 33rd Gnadensee-Schwimmen.  The Gnadensee-Schwimmen is a 1500 meter swim from the Island of Reichenau to Allensbach.  Always extremely well organized by the local life saving organization and various other groups.  About 300 took part in the swim, including moi.

Consider:   

At the 2012 Olympics in London

Mr. Yang Sun from China swam 1500m Freestyle at a time of:  14:31:02. 

Yes, 14 minutes, 31.02 seconds.  He created a new world record.

At the Gnadensee-Schwimmen in Allensbach

Frau Ehinger from Ireland swam 1500 in Rosaleen Style

At a time of:  57 plus minutes.  Breaking absolutely no records of any kind.

See pictures of Frau Ehinger below.  Also of Herr Ehinger who was in attendance to show support for the big swim.







          
P.S. Reminder to Roe:  don´t forget to write a blog post about the time you met Misty May Trainer, Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King and what´s her face, yes, Michelle Kwan that wonder of the figure skating world. 

-- Now was n´t that little post script a nice plug on the dramas of my life and times!

No comments:

Post a Comment