Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Route with a View


Winter here in Allensbach on Lake Konstanz was thankfully not particularly hard.... but it was loooong!  Then spring arrived  last week - with GUSTO!

That first lovely spring day that came to us in Allensbach, I took photos of my route to and from work. -  See if you can beat this for a view on your going to and coming from work.

  



















The house, rather the house that was, in the photo above is more of interest for things other than beauty.  But, it is en route so I can legitimately include it in this group of photos; I marvel at German building practices for their technique and efficiency.  O.K. O.K. I am not the first to make note of German efficiency, I KNOW that!

Anyway!  This is a semi-detached house.  One half of the house was carefully and speedily deconstructed in the course of about 5 days.  All the while people were living in the other half of the house.  I don´t know about you, but if I had lived next door I would move into the local B&B when work was in progress.   But from what I can surmise, the German people take their own efficiency so much for granted, that  the neighbors were quite happy to stay put when the other half of the house was being demolished next door.


Last week winter coats, this week, swim suits and sun shades.  Oh joy oh joy.  

 *  I wonder if any of my five readers -  or is it six now, copped that I slightly modified the English author E.M. Foster´s book title for my blog title? Foster wrote A Room with a View in 1908; the book is about a young woman in the repressed culture of Edwardian era England - not that the Edwardians had a monopoly on cultural repression!  Foster´s book is set in Italy and England, the story is both a romance and a perspective on English society at the beginning of the 20th century.

In 1998 the book was ranked 79th on a list of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century by Modern Library.  And more FYI:  James Joyce´s Ulysses was no. 1 on the same list, and his Protrait of the Artist as a Young Man was no. 3 on the list.

Who says you don´t get a bit of culture here with your Irish Stew!









































No comments:

Post a Comment