Tuesday, November 17, 2015

`Er lebt wie Gott in Frankreich´

                         To the People of France:  My Condolences.  And my respect.

Here in Germany, when someone is living the high life, or the good life for what ever reason, they have a great saying to describe it:  Er lebt wie Gott in Frankreich`.   - He is living like God in France.

That is to say the Germans acknowledge that the people in France know how to live the good live, and they do it so well that God chooses to live in France.


In April of this year, I was in Paris for a few days.   Paris had just suffered an attack some weeks earlier.  There were soldiers to be seen in many locations.  But it did not stop people living wie Gott in Frankreich. 

It was as if people saw the soldiers, understood that they were there, and why they were there.  And that was the new reality in Paris.  But it did not stop people living wie Gott in Frankreich.   They enjoyed the good weather, they were out and about, children played, Opas und Omas sat on park benches, laughter and chatter could be heard everywhere.

As it happened where I stayed in Paris in April was less than half a mile from where three attacks in restaurants occurred last week; I passed near one of the streets on my way back to the hostel several evenings.  I am mindful of that as I watch the news now.

The French, rather a lot of the French, feel superior about France and all things French. To a fault many would say.  But it will stand to them now.  The French do know how to live well, and they DO IT  well!  That the Tour Eiffel  was aglow and glitzy in the French colours three days after the attack on Paris is not a surprise.  Living life to the full goes on in Paris .. n´est-ce pas?

My self with my little blog offer  France and the people of France my condolences.  And my respect. Small fry I know. But there are millions of us who do the same.

France is down, but not out, no matter what this won´t stop the French.  They will continue to survive and to overcome. They will continue to live life to the full.   Wie Gott in Frankreich.  
 




No comments:

Post a Comment