Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I feel like I live in a Christmas card on Mr. Rogers' Mantelpiece!

When I lived in Citylights in New York City, I used to say I felt like it was living in an apartment building in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.  Now living on Lake Konstanz in Germany, I feel I am living in a Christmas card on Mr. Rogers' mantelpiece! 
You will understand what I mean when you look at these photographs, which were taken out walking in the area over Christmas time.



Like most of these photos I am not adding captions.   How can I improve on what you see!













Heaps of manure, in my mind, are not given their due respect, except by  hens - and a few wise men.  Not only is the real Mc Coy a very valuable asset in the making of our 'daily bread'; the world and the people in it, would  be  much better off if people could work out what they see, hear or want  was 'a load of manure' or not, before they spend too much time, energy, or life on the matter.







The Bunte Kuh, or Colorful Cow as you English/American speakers would say, is a pub in the the little village of Kaltbrunn.   I am adding this image with the colorful cow in her wellies, in homage to the world famous (in some places), Castlecomer Wellie Race.  www.wellierace.com/   The wellie race for charity, and fun, will take place on New Year's Day.  The event, always on January 1st., has taken place in Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny for over 30 years. They have wellie races and dances and floats and the 'Major Regrets' - the latter being Castlecomers' answer to the Dallas Cowboys' pom pom girls.   Great fun -and a pint or two is had by all.  All this in addition to collecting 'loads a money' for charity.  The lads in Casltecomer don't know how much they have collected and donated to charity, because it took them 'a while' to work out that the Wellie Race had caught on and they should keep records of all they donated.  But they know it is over a million dollars by now.  Not bad work in your wellies with a hang over, right!

4 comments:

  1. Prüfung,prüfung 1,2,3...

    Just checking how the 'post comments' works. Happy New Year all who read this.

    Oder 'schönes neues Jahr' what ever works for you! R.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! I post this as "anonymous" just to test the function.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And again I have to praise the photos, this time trying to do this with a name, but no URL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Third praise of the photos, but this time Majas Mom will not use the apostrophe behind "Maja", because the system seems to be unable to recognize the letter.

    ReplyDelete