Sunday, September 14, 2014

Art of Glass: The Spectacular World of Dale Chihuly

This posting is completely different from my last two postings.  Just for the fun and be-wonderment of it all:

It is likely glass artist Dale Chihuly´s spectacular pieces ablaze with color, light - and joy, will  leave you in awe.

And yes I do love my superlatives.  But Mr. Chihuly´ glass installations is one topic on which I can have free rein with the ´ol superlatives and still not be overboard. See if you don´t agree.

Thanks to my friend Anita, I visited Mr. Chihuly´s  exhibition in the Bronx Botanical Garden in N.Y.C. some years ago.  That´s where I took these photos.  The photos alas don´t do justice to the artist or his work, but I hope they will inform and pique your interest to look further.

I will start with my favorite installation...



Is n´t this a weird and wonderful fairy land or what!












To give you a sense of the size of these amazing installations, see moi sitting to the right of these green wiggly lights.










Don´t you just expect a character from the Beetlejuice film to pop out here any second.












Well, was I right or was I right about the ´ol superlatives!





Some more wow!





Consider for a moment the care you have to take washing your Waterford Glass. 

- Now consider the sheer logistics, of creating, transporting and installing these other-world sculptures.


















To end, one more time my favorite installation.












Well folks not much I can say after these pictures.  Except - apart from the amazing hurling final between Tipperary and Kilkenny last Sunday, it would be hard to beat Dale Chihuly´s sculptures should one want to ponder the heights of human endeavors we mortals can achieve betimes.


If you want to find out more about this amazing and prolific artist... see links below. 

/http://www.chihuly.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Chihuly

And don´t you just love the name Dale Chihuly  What a great name for an artist.
Indeed with a name like that, one would have no option but to be an artist, or an actor at the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment