Thursday, September 29, 2016

On the matter of female beach attire....



The matter of female beach attire was a topic of note this summer.  As is wont to be the case by times, I had something to say on this matter too; once in the form of an Op-Ed piece, and once again in the form of a letter.  Both posted to the New York Times; neither published. 

But I post them now for your reading pleasure. Do peruse.  I would welcome comments both pro/contra. 
Enjoy.
New York Times.  Op-Ed  the Editor. August 17th, 2016

Like millions of television viewers the world over watching the Olympics, I am in awe of the Olympians sporting achievements and their physical conditions.

In my opinion this is particularly apparent with the female beach volley ball players.  In their dainty nearly nothing attire, one can only stare unbelievingly at physiques that leave one at a loss for superlatives. 

Or am I the only person in the whole world who is so distracted by those abs of steel, and the women´s gravity defying posteriors, that I can barely concentrate on their amazing playing skills?

But, should that be the aim of beach volley ball?  - Staring at bodies that place the meaning of the phrase´beach bod´ firmly in the stratosphere.

The male volley ball players on the other hand are covered from shoulder to knee in loose attire which, unfortunately in my opinion, leaves nary a hint of a tuned ab or a toned posterior.  But, at least one can focus on the male participants´ sporting abilities.

The Egyptian competitors Nada Meawad und Doaa Elghobashy,  the latter complete with hijab  put paid to question of whether more or less body coverage influences playing ability;  in spite of their youth and inexperience at international levels Mses. Meawad and Elghobashy gave their German opponents a respectable run for their money in the qualifying rounds.
  
So the question is not whether coverage or the lack thereof enhances/inhibits play.  I suggest, rather, it is about what is comfortable for the players and what might focus the viewer more on the players amazing athletic skills.

To this end, might I suggest a middle ground in the garment design of Olympic beach volley ball players might be in order.  Perhaps a little more coverage for the women participants, so one can focus more on their awesome playing than their awesome physiques. And perhaps a tad less coverage for the male players, so that their musculature as well as their playing skills might be admired.

There is an additional consideration, as commented on by a successful female athletic on the U.S. university sport circuit, with whom I am acquainted:  She would love to have pursued beach volley ball at competitive level, but chose not to  because  she ´would feel uneasy wearing those ´itsey bitsey bikinis´ while competing´. 

I wonder if there are other young woman out there who passed on beach volley ball for the same reason?

Yours etc....


To The Editor, New York Times Letter Page

Following on from the article:  France’s Burkini Bigotry

 AUG. 24, 2016

I am Irish, with very pale skin and freckles.  My family has a history of skin cancer. In short, I have to do all I can to avoid the sun.   The Burkini, which covers from head to toe with only face, feet and hands not covered, would be a wonderful solution for me.  And certainly less messy than constantly slathering on factor 50 sun protection cream.


In fact I am surprised that medical professionals the world over are not telling everyone to put on a burkini before hitting the beach


I know France has had to deal with a LOT these last two years with dozens of people killed by bigoted religious fanatic murderers.  However I suggest, most respectively, that the response of holding women at gunpoint for covering up their bodies on the beach seems well a bit like bigotry to me.    

I am not sure what swimwear of any sort has to do with preventing religious fanatics from carrying out senseless murders.  Certainly I can understand that a covered face could be a serious security risk. But burkinis are not about face coverage.  
 
Another thought. What would happen should my 92 year old grandaunt who is a Catholic nun and always wears her religious habit, decided to take a stroll on the beach in Franch?  Would she too be held at gun point?
Yours etc....

2 comments:



  1. Great letters and would provoke some thought on the matters from the readers.

    ReplyDelete