Friday, April 30, 2021

The First Day of the Rest of my Life - AGAIN!


Ok, so regular blog readers will have observed, that this ´ First Day of the Rest of my Life` business has been going on with me quite a bit these last 12 months.  But in fairness, it has been a great 12 months of new life stuff what with my retirement and all. 

So this First Day of the Rest of my Life story is about my FREE travel pass; from the age of 66 eligible residents in Ireland can travel on public transport for free. 
 
And that is what I did for my 66h!
 
I had a great day using my brand new free travel card.  
 
While Covid restrictions prevented a wild day trip to Cork or some such, I took myself off to Kilsheelan using my free OAP bus pass.  A grand walk by the river an ice cream and then I came home.
 
Photos attached - include a photo of bus driver who enjoyed the story of ´my first time´.  It was he suggested he should hold up my OAP pass on its first use.  As it happens the driver himself came from Kilsheelan, so he was delighted I was visiting the village as my first free travel adventure.

And yes what with Covid county restrictions it was, a few teeny tiny miles over the county border into Tipperary from  Kilkenny.  I know I know...  I am a bold OAP! (old age pensioner). 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That evening a stake dinner and some nice wine which Romeo H had chosen for me,  so it was just a grand day. 


And more good stuff: I received my Covid vaccine four days later! 

Well I tell you, things are looking better-er and better-er these days.   
 Happy Day dear reader!
 
Addendum 1: 
Fortunately some one asked about the castle in the picture.  A most interesting story that I was glad I followed up on.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Gurteen_de_la_Poer
 
And more, the castle is now owned by an Austrian artist whose work myself and Romeo H know. So that was a nice twist to an already nice day!
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/gottfried-helnweis-tipperary-castle-a-great-backdrop-for-his-art-1.2671800
Addendum 2:  
 I want to acknowledge the work of the late Brian Lenihan Snr. a politician who put together the free travel scheme for seniors. He died before the scheme could be put into action.  
 
Alas credit for the free travel scheme is sometimes erroneously given to another Irish politician, the late rouge, thieving, corrupt, embezzling, tax evading, bribe taking Charlas Haughey.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Haughey




No comments:

Post a Comment